Elegant Grace, 8 years old

Friday, November 4, 2011

Authentic Self

In the depths of the horse stalls,
I spot her...
Maneuvering a manure fork like a melody,
In her mud soaked boots and lipstick.

I feel the warmth of her compassionate heart
   as the scent of horse sweat escapes from her pores.
She is always here with me on the farm, feeding chickens,
   grooming horses, playing with dogs.
I ask her to join me on my escapades...
   to the coffee house, on errands, to the river or to meet friends.
She is good company.

Sometimes her hand slips from mine
   in moments where confidence has waned.
As she becomes distant, I begin to disappear.
I frantically search for her warm palm against mine.
I stop.
Breathe deep.
Remember the truth.
And the scent of her, however faint,
Returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment